With few exceptions, any Maryland resident who wishes to purchase or transfer a handgun in the state of Maryland must possess a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). This new requirement went into effect on October 1, 2013.
The HQL has three requirements:
- Training requirement: applicants must complete a 4 hour training course, including a live-fire exercise.
- Please check our calendar for a list of upcoming classes.
- Once you complete the course, it is valid for 3 years. In other words, you can wait up to 3 years after you have completed the training to complete your online HQL application.
- Digital fingerprints, (approximately $55) offered locally by the following:
- We occasionally offer fingerprinting services in our store. Please check our calendar for more information.
- Frederick County Sheriff’s Dept., no appointment needed, walk-in service Tuesday – Thursday from Noon to 5 pm.
- Securitas Security, must register and pay online: md.ibtfingerprint.com
- Optimal Health Care, must register online: optimalhealthcareinc.com
- Online application ($50) with Maryland State Police (www.mdsp.org).
Exempt from HQL requirement (does not need to possess an HQL to purchase or transfer a handgun):
- Current or retired law enforcement or military personnel
Exempt from training requirement:
- Any person that legally possessed a regulated firearm in the state of Maryland prior to October 1, 2013. A regulated firearm is a handgun or any other firearm that required Maryland handgun paperwork and the 7 day waiting period.
- Any person that completed the MD hunters safety course during/after 2002.
- Any person that was in the military and possesses a DD-214 form.
Any person that has a current Maryland Wear/Carry Permit still has to apply for an HQL but does not have to be fingerprinted or take a training course. There is also no fee for the HQL.
We are happy to help you in obtaining your HQL. If you have any questions you may contact us by clicking here, or give us a call at 240-347-4883.
Students who attend our HQL classes are encouraged to bring their laptop computers and complete their online HQL application during the class. The instructor will walk you through the entire application, question by question. WiFi is available.