With few exceptions, any Maryland resident who wishes to purchase or transfer and handgun in the state of Maryland must possess a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). This new requirement went into effect on October 1, 2013.
The HQL has three requirements:
- Training requirement: applicants must complete a 4 hour training course, including a live-fire exercise.
- Please check our calendar for a list of upcoming classes.
- Digital fingerprints, (approximately $55) offered locally by the following:
- Frederick County Sheriff’s Dept., no appointment needed, walk-in service Tuesday – Thursday from Noon to 5 pm.
- Securitas Security, must register and pay online: md.ibtfingerprint.com
- Optimal Health Care, must register online: optimalhealthcare.com
- Online application ($50) with Maryland State Police (www.mdsp.org).
Exempt from HQL requirement (does not need to possess an HQL to purchase or transfer a handgun):
- Current or retired law enforcement or military personnel
Exempt from training requirement:
- Any person that legally possessed a regulated firearm in the state of Maryland prior to October 1, 2013. A regulated firearm is a handgun or any other firearm that required Maryland handgun paperwork and the 7 day waiting period.
Any person that has a current Maryland Wear/Carry Permit still has to apply for an HQL but does not have to be fingerprinted or take a training course. There is also no fee for the HQL.
We are happy to help you in obtaining your HQL. Please call us with any questions you have: